1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women Clothing

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Daphne, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Daphne

Daphne New Member

What clothes can a woman wear in India when it's hot? Are tank tops and sleeveless shirts fine or do you think they will draw too much attention?

2. swalia

swalia Guest

It depends on the area where you are visiting. Sleeveless shirts and tank tops are fine in metros and big cities. However in conservative and rural areas, you should better avoid wearing them.

3. violet

violet New Member

I would err on the safe side so that I don't insult anyone and wear longer sleeved shirts that are loose fitting. Unless you are visiting the beach then you could probably wear a sleeveless shirt over your swimsuit.

4. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion it depends upon the location.

5. This is way too much dependent on locations. In big cities you can be fine with that kind of clothes, but if go into small towns or villages best to dress conservatively. In certain big cities like Delhi it is better to dress conservatively at all times. If you do want to dress up for a party or a function then it's better to change after you have reached the venue or wear something over your dress like a jacket.

6. Rita P

Rita P New Member

Tank tops and sleeveless shirts are fine if you are hiring cabs and not using public transport. It may be a little unsafe if you wear them while using public transport like buses and local trains.

7. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

It definitely depends on the location. Lots of girls wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts in places like Delhi, and it's fine. In rural areas, it's not such a good idea. It's also, surprisingly, often not such a good idea in places like Varanasi, which seem like big cities, but in many ways are just huge, sprawling villages, with lots of gossip.
    Even where it seems fine, there are still drawbacks to wearing tank tops and sleeveless shirts. Most Indian women wouldn't do it, so lots of people take it as a mark of respect when tourists don't do it, either. The other thing is that wearing long, loose sleeves can actually be better in the sun than tank tops or sleeveless shirts, as it keeps the sun off you, and can sometimes be cooler. For instance, the people who live in the Thar desert wear long, loose, flowing clothes, just like the Bedouin tribes.

8. Arianne

Arianne Member

When I travel, regardless of the country, I like to wear loose fitting tops that keep you cool. That way you don't burn in the sun and feel miserable for the rest of your vacation. This also helps if you're in a place where the people don't usually dress in tank tops and shorts and where you would stand out as a tourist.