1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bangalore to Munnar by road

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by BabuChaitanya, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BabuChaitanya

BabuChaitanya New Member

I will go to Bangalore to Munnar by road for the first time, and I have joined the forum to get some help for this road trip of mine. I have some questions which are very simple, but would help me a lot in this journey.

1. How many routes are there from Bangalore to Munnar?

2. I would like to know what road conditions are like from Bangalore to Munnar? Are there any parts of the journey where the road condition is really bad?

3. In how many hours can I cover the Bangalore to Munnar journey?

4. I have a swift car, is that a suitable drive for this trip?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

There are three routes that you can take to reach Munnar from Bangalore:
    • Route No. 1 via NH44 - Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Bhavani > Avinashi > Marayoor > Munnar.
    This route is about 476 kms long. It can take you 9 to 10 hours to cover this distance with this route. From Bangalore to Salem, roads are four laned so you won't encounter much problems. But from Bhavani to Munnar, roads are mostly two lanes and the journey can be a bit slower. Roads from Marayoor to Munnar are narrow so do be careful.
    • Route No. 2 via NH948 - Bangalore > Somanathapura > Chamarajanagar > Sathyamangalam > Avinashi > Marayoor > Munnar.
    This route is about 444 kms long. It can take you 10 hours or more to cover this distance. This route has two lane roads so the journey can be longer as compared to the other routes. However, it's also one of the most scenic routes so you'd enjoy your journey with this one.
    • Route No. 3 via Udumalpet - Bangalore > Hosur > Salem > Perundurai > Dharapuram > Udumalpet > Marayoor > Munnar.
    This route is about 465 kms long. This is probably the best route as it gives you scenic views and the roads are mostly in good condition. In Perundurai though, lanes are two way only. The views along the way are very scenic and you can reach Munnar in about 10 hours or less.

I recommend the third route so that's what I'm going to focus on describing the road conditions on:
    • Route No. 3 via Udumalpet - Bangalore > Hosur > Salem > Perundurai > Dharapuram > Udumalpet > Marayoor > Munnar.
    From Bangalore to Salem via Hosur, the highway is in excellent condition. The roads are well-paved and very smooth. You can reach Salem in about three hours or less. There are also about three to four tolls here so you need to be prepared for that.

From Salem to Perundurai, road conditions are good as well. This route is about 80 kms long but make sure that you watch out for the last 5 kms indicating the turn to reach Perundurai.

From Perundurai to Dharapuram, roads are good but only have two lanes. You'd also pass by many windmills in this stretch which can be quite enjoyable to watch. There's minimal traffic here so you can reach the latter in about two hours or less.

From Dharapuram to Udumalpet, the roads are also two lanes without dividers. There might be some diversions along the way but nothing too major. You can reach the latter in about an hour.

From Udumalpet to Marayoor, this is the start of the hilly terrains. You'd be encountering some hairpin bends and some steeper curves along the way. Make sure you fill your fuel tank before approaching Udumalpet as there are no petrol stations for the next 45 kms.

From Marayoor to Munnar, this is about 42 kms long. You would encounter narrow roads through the ghats. The famous sandalwood forests of Marayoor are also here. The roads are narrow with many steep curves and little shoulders. Some stretches are good but some are bad. Do be careful and rest if you're feeling too tired to drive.

You can cover the distance from Bangalore to Munnar in about 9 hours at the least and 10 hours at the most.

A swift car would do just fine as the roads are okay and your main problem are the curves. A swift car can traverse curves well especially with a good driver or experienced one.

I hope this helps!

djtravels likes this.

3. djtravels

djtravels Member

To add to that detailed response, I would advise you to not take your own car or hire a driver for Rs 500. The reason is that the curvy roads are not easy to maneuverer unless you're used to that kind of driving. Also, its a taxing journey, and if you drive yourself, you will neither enjoy the view during the trip, nor will you be able to enjoy once you get there. So, take your time deciding how to go about it.