1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Time To Go To Kolkata?

Discussion in 'East India' started by bittersblue, Nov 22, 2015.

1. bittersblue

bittersblue New Member

I'm hoping to plan a long-ish trip to Kolkata after I graduate from college. I've been to Kolkata lot to visit my family but because of my school and my parents' work, the only time of the year we can go is in the summer. It is always horribly hot and humid and obviously, it's difficult to fully enjoy the life of a city when you're too busy overheating inside your clothes.

So my question to you, when do you think is the weather the best in Kolkata? Or do you like summer the most?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

November to mid-Feb is the best time to visit Kolkata. It is winter those days but temperatures don't go down to an uncomfortable level, all you need is a jumper that's all. January is normally the coldest month.

Summer is not a very good time due to the heat and proximity to sea, which makes it very humid.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

For me, the best time to visit Kolkata is from the months of December to February. This is considered as the winter season in the region. Temperatures range between 10°C to 20°C. There was even a time that the temperature went as low as 7°C. It's a great time for sightseeing and exploring the important attractions in Kolkata. Make sure that you bring your wooden clothes and jackets to protect yourself from the cold. This is also the peak tourist season in the region so you would need to book your hotel in advance.

Come the months of March to June, this is considered as the summer season in Kolkata. It's not unusual for temperatures to range between 30°C to 40°C, sometimes even exceeding that. Unfortunately, humidity is also high during this time. Rain showers and dust showers can also happen at times. If you can avoid the summer season, it's best to do so.

From July to September, this is the monsoon season in Kolkata. Rain showers during this time can be harsh and strong. Floods can occur in some areas of Kolkata as well. The worst month for rainfall is during August. Avoid Kolkata during these months as much as you can. However, post-monsoon season, the whole city blooms and is a sight to be behold.

Post-monsoon season is from October to November. These are also the pre-winter months. Again, this is a great time to visit Kolkata. Temperatures are low averaging between 20°C to 28°C. Due to the monsoon season just ending, you can find lush greenery every. It's the best time to visit gardens and parks.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.