1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to get from Delhi to Varanasi

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by ChaiNashta, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

I get this question a lot in private messages and I have replied to a few of them too but those replies will not benefit those who come here looking for the same answer so I decided to write a thread about best way from Delhi to Varanasi so we can just provide the link to this thread to those who ask.

The cheapest way to get there would be trains and there are plenty of trains that go there. Apart from Varanasi junction, Varanasi city there is also Mugalsarai station which is about 20km from Varanasi so you have plenty of choices. The only problem is getting the tickets booked as they get booked well in advance so make sure you book your tickets well in advance.

Below is the list of direct trains that you can look at :

Delhi to varanasi trains.png

The quickest way to get to Varanasi from Delhi would be planes and there also you have plenty of flights to choose from.

Airport code for Delhi is DEL and Varanasi is VNS.

Airlines that fly from Delhi to Varanasi are :

Spicejet
    Indigo
    Jet Airways
    Air India

A return ticket would cost around Rs6200-6500 or more depending upon the time of the year and airline you choose. Flight duration is about an hour and a half.

Going by road is not advisable as the distance is a lot and it would be very tiring taking a bus and changing in between or even driving all the way. Roads quality is also questionable.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask.

BadBoy likes this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

The best and fastest way to go to Varanasi from Delhi and back is by air. Just take a flight and prebook it a few days in advance and the tickets wont cost a lot either. The train journey if you ask me is not what I would recommend unless someone wants to find out what dysentery and other related problems feel like after having food at one of the platforms or on-board an Indian railways trains.

I hear about the food delivery service that have started recently where you just place an order using your mobile phone with an app and food is delivered to you at your seat in the train but even with food problem out of the way what would you do about the great Indian toilet in those trains? Although my last train journey was only from Delhi to Jalandhar in a Shatabdi train and that was in year 2003 and toilets back then were a mess. I dont know if things have improved? People that travel in those trains are the same, are they not :)