1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Misconceptions About India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ankisha, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

Generally, foreigners have various misconceptions about India and its people. Let's have a look at some of the common misconceptions and know the truth behind them.

• Indian cuisines are spicy- well, this is one of the most popular myths about Indian culinary. India is the land of different cultures. The food also differs in terms of its preparations and of course all food is not spicy.
    • India is a scorching hot country- Not every part of India is that hot. You will get different temperatures at different geographical areas. India is home to the world's second coldest habitable place i.e Dras.

2. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Only two? In my country we believe that women from India are very beautiful. This is not a myth it is most probably the truth but we never manage to prove anything :) It is one of the biggest countries in the world and I believe foreigners surely have more than two misconceptions.

I know one. I was told that the origin of gypsies is India. How close to truth is that? I am not sure because I know how Gypsies look in my country and I can see your picture here.

3. Whenever we mention travelling in India people usually ask if we can speak any Hindi - like that's the only language that exists on this vast continent.

4. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

Well, fortunately there are now more people from India all over the world and more Indian Grocery Stores, more Indian Restaurants and so there is a greater awareness of "all things Indian". However, there are still many people who don't get out much and they still are asking Indians questions such as:

Do Indians speak Indian?
    What tribe (possibly referring to American Natives) do you come from?
    Do Indian people travel to work on elephants, have their mail delivered via flying carpet or keep a pet tiger?
    Why do you eat with your hands?
    Why do you still live with your parents?
    Are you in an arranged marriage?
    Does Indian food have ajinomoto?
    When do you wear your turban?
    How can you be Indian? You have a fair complexion!
    What is your real name in India?

Admin likes this.
  5. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I guess there are misconceptions related to every country when we don't know much about it. This is due to what the media does most of the time unfortunately.

6. JoJo

JoJo New Member

You are so right tri. I really wonder what the Indians ask about us Americans? I couldn't begin to guess. That's why it's so important to be informed before you travel to any foreign country.