1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does It Snow In India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JodyBlake, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JodyBlake

JodyBlake New Member

I know only India as being a country with beautiful hot weather and lots of sun, something which us Brits crave for. Just out of curiosity I wanted to know does it snow in India at all? Although I am someone who would skip a snow holiday, but I would like to see it especially in a hilly area and I am sure it would be better than the snow in Britain.
    I may tag along with a friend in October this year to India, would there be any chance to see snow then?

2. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

Ahhhmmm.... Himalayas? We have plenty of snow. You just need to head to the mountains and see all the snow you want. Take a flight to Leh from Delhi and you will see snow every where. So yes it does snow in India :) and it snows a lot where it does. Most of India is plains so remains mostly warm if you compare with weather in UK.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Yes we get plenty of snow in India and there are lots of places where you can see snow all year round not just in winters. Sonmarg , Gulmarg, Pahalgam in Kashmir are good places to see snow. You could also go to Sikkim any time of the year and also go to some hot springs there. Hot springs in snow are a lovely combination. These are not the only places, there are hundreds if not thousands of places in India you could go to for some fun in the snow.

Rohtang pass is another place which is a lot of fun and is a short drive from Manali where you could stay for a few days as its got lots of things to do apart from snow.

4. samfad55

samfad55 New Member

From what i've seen on TV i can say it snows in India. Though i haven't been to India i can't stop thinking about the country and it's one of the reasons i joined this forum hopefully i would get to see that beautiful country very soon.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Yes, there are certainly places in India that has snow. Since you're going in October, here are some places I can recommend to you:
    • Auli. This one's surrounded by snow-capped mountains, such a beautiful sight. Plus, you can do other activities like hell-skiing or visiting vistas in the Himalayas.
    • Lachung. There are rock-pinnacled valleys with waterfalls surrounding the village of Lachung. There's not much to do though except be in awe of the scenery.
    • Narkanda. This place has a ski resort which tourists flock to. If you're into skiing, then this might be perfect for you. You can also try hiking to Hatu Peak and visiting the temple is another must.
    • Nainital. You can definitely enjoy snow here because the temperature isn't too extreme as compared to other places. The place boasts mostly of their scenic lake spots.
    • Roopkund. Are you in for something spooky and thrilling? Go for a trek in Roopkund and see the mysterious human skeletons around the snowy lake.
    Good luck and have fun!

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Come to India any time of the year and there will still be snow some where in the Himalayas. We also have lots of hill stations where roads only open for 3-4 months every year due to snow so you can imagine what its like in some parts of the country. We also have some of the highest passes. India does get a lot of snow all year round.