1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qatar Airways baggage allowance from USA to India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Yadu, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Yadu

Yadu New Member

I am going to India from the USA, and will be flying with Qatar Airways. I need to find out about the baggage allowance, which I have tried finding out from the airline official site, but it is not very clear.

Please, can someone tell me what the Qatar Airways baggage allowance from the USA to India is?

2. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

Looks like they charge about $200 per extra piece on items from the USA. That seems excessive but I suppose they just assume that Americans are going to be paying out the nose for anything regardless.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Yadu! Welcome to the forum!

So first of all, hand baggage and checked baggage allowances differ from each other. Hand baggage allowance is uniform for all flights, regardless of where you come from or where you're going to. However, it does differ for the different classes in flight:

Hand Baggage Allowances
    • First Class - Maximum of 2 pieces and each must not exceed 15 kilograms or 33 pounds.
    • Business Class - Maximum of 2 pieces and each must not exceed 15 kilograms or 33 pounds.
    • Economy Class - Maximum of 1 piece and must not exceed 7 kilograms or 15 pounds.
    Maximum hand baggage dimensions should be 50 cm x 37 cm x 25 cm or 20 in x 15 in x 10 in. In addition to the hand baggage allowance, you can also carry personal items such as one ladies handbag or one small briefcase, one coat, cape or blanket, one umbrella, one pair of crutches or walking stick, one small camera or binoculars, limited reading material, an infant’s carrying basket, and duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight. However, laptops and laptop bags must fit within your hand baggage allowance.

Now, here are the allowances for the checked baggage, for flights from the USA:

Checked Baggage Allowances
    • First Class - Maximum of 2 pieces and each must not exceed 32 kilograms or 70 pounds with a maximum dimension of 158 centimetres or 62 inches.
    • Business Class - Maximum of 2 pieces and each must not exceed 32 kilograms or 70 pounds with a maximum dimension of 158 centimetres or 62 inches.
    • Economy Class - Maximum of 2 pieces and each must not exceed 23 kilograms or 50 pounds with a maximum dimension of 158 centimetres or 62 inches.
    A single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32 kilograms or 70 pounds. Any bags weighing more than 32 kilograms or 70 pounds must be broken down such that each piece weighs less than 32 kilograms or 70 pounds.

Here are the excess baggage rates as well:
    • Subsequent Extra Piece - 200 USD.
    • Overweight Piece (From 23 to 23 kilograms or 50 to 70 pounds) - 50 USD.
    I hope this helps!