1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting Madhya Pradesh

Discussion in 'Central India' started by ShikshaAwasti, Jul 17, 2015.

1. ShikshaAwasti

ShikshaAwasti New Member

My wife and I would like to visit some places in Madhya Pradesh and these places are Ujjain, Khajuraho, Jabbalpur and Amarkantak. Please give suggestions in which order I should visit these places or the route I sould take.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It would be easier and better if you would let us know where you would be coming from to be able to suggest a good route. I would also like to you how you would be traveling.

Please note that there is a problem of water logging at many places in Ujjain.

Shanaya likes this.

3. ShikshaAwasti

ShikshaAwasti New Member

Apologies for the late reply and not mentioning the destination we will be traveling from which is Agra.

4. Shanaya

Shanaya New Member

Well! If i was you, I would prefer going to Khajuraho, and then Amarkantak, and then would head off for Jabalpur. Before going to Ujjain, I would certainly like to suggest another destination for you which falls in the way to Ujjain, and that is Sanchi(near Bhopal). Sanchi is known for its Stupas, known for their remarkable Bhudhist Art and were laid in ancient time by the Emperor Ashoka. You must feel the peace that place holds and then can leave for Ujjain. I hope you will have a nice rejuvenating trip. :)

Tanmaya and Chahal like this.
  5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I would strongly advise not to drive after sunset. Roads are not the best I have seen and above all security is a matter of concern too. Keep your tanks full and make sure your spare tire is in good shape. Another problem is that there are "no" decent places to eat on that whole stretch so be prepared for that too :)

Tanmaya likes this.
  6. Travel Guide

Travel Guide New Member

You should start with Ujjain then can visit Pachmadi it is also a very beautiful place to visit having arrangements from MP Tourism,then jabalpur,Amarkantak and Khajuaho.......

Travel Guide

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would suggest starting with Khajuraho as that is the nearest place to Agra at about 412 kms away from the latter. The order at which you should visit them should be:
    1. Khajuraho (412 kms away from Agra)
    2. Ujjain (581 kms away from Agra)
    3. Jabalpur (626 kms away from Agra)
    4. Amarkantak (845 kms away from Agra)
    So let's break down the possible routes for each one of them:

1. From Agra to Khajuraho - You can reach the latter within 6 to 7 hours depending on the traffic. A possible route for you would be:
    • Agra > Dholpur > Morena > Gwalior > Jhansi > Mau Ranipur > Chhatarpur > Khajuraho
    Let's start with the road conditions.

From Agra to Gwalior, you won't find any problems. There's some patchy roads after Agra but nothing that difficult to traverse. You can reach Gwalior in about two to three hours time.

From Gwalior to Jhansi, it's a mixture of good and bad roads. Some patches here and there, some roads can be challenging to pass through. You can reach Jhansi in two to three hours as well.

From Jhansi to Mau Ranipur, there's not much problem, although this is just a short stretch. An hour or two would cover this route.

From Mau Ranipur to Chhatapur, there's not much traffic here. Adding in Chhatarpur to Khajuraho, also not much traffic. The roads are a bit bad and are single-laned at times. You can reach Khajuraho in about two to three hours.

Now, stopovers can be at Gwalior or Jhansi. You can find various tea shops and eateries here. Don't forget to fill up your fuel tank as well.

2. From Khajuraho to Ujjain - You can reach the latter in about 9 to 10 hours time. A possible route would be:
    • Khajuraho > Bada Malhera > Sagar > Vidisha > Bhopal > Ashta > Dewas > Ujjain

From Khajuraho to Bada Malhera, roads are bearable but not in great condition. You can reach the latter in about one to two hours.

Trouble begins from Sagar to Bhopal as the roads become worse, there's lots of patches and rough routes. Expect journey time to be three to four hours.

Lastly, from Bhopal to Ujjain, roads can be tough. It's better if you have your four wheeler with you or hire a car specifically designed for tough terrains. You can reach Ujjain in three to four hours.

Now, stopovers can be in Vidisha or Bhopal. You can try the Indian Coffee House in T.T. Nagar in Bhopal.

3. From Ujjain to Jabalpur - You can reach Jabalpur in about 9 or 10 hours. A possible route would be:
    • Ujjain > Dewas > Ashta > Bhopal > Raisen > Jabalpur

Again, from Ujjain to Bhopal, road conditions can be patchy and tough. Expect to reach Bhopal in three or four hours.

From Bhopal to Raisen, it's an okay drive, with some patches on the roads. You can reach Jabalpur in four to five hours.

Stopovers can be at Raisen or Bhopal.

4. From Jabalpur to Amarkantak - You can reach the latter in about four to five hours. A possible route would be:
    • Jabalpur > Kundam > Shahpura > Dindori > Amarkantak

Generally, from Jabalpur to Amarkantak, road conditions are pretty good. There are little patches along the way. Overall, it's a smooth journey and you can reach Amarkantak in just four or five hours.

You can have a stopover at Shahpura. I think Highway King is along Shahpura as well.

There you go, I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.:)