1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pahalgam to Sonamarg distance by road

Discussion in 'North India' started by Gannni, May 14, 2016.

1. Gannni

Gannni New Member

I will be in Katra for the Vaishno Devi pilgrimage and from there I will be traveling to Pahalgam for a short holiday. I wish to extend my holiday duration by going to Sonamarg.
    I know the air distance between the two destinations is very less, and the only way to reach Sonamarg from Pahalgam is through the mountain passes.

I would like to know what the Pahalgam to Sonamarg distance by road is? It is only then I would be able to know whether I should visit Sonamarg as well.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Pahalgam to Sonmarg is about 165KM by road. I agree that air distance is a lot less but the only way by road is via Srinagar due to the terrain.

Have a look at the Pahalgam vs Gulmarg comparison thread and see what you like. You could go to all three on the same trip. Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Sonmarg.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Gannni! Welcome to the forum!

As what has been stated, the distance between Pahalgam and Sonamarg by road is about 164.2 kms via NH1. The only way to reach Sonamarg is through Srinagar. Here is the route you can take:
    • Pahalgam > Aishmuqam > Sangam > Awantipora > Lethipora > Srinagar > Ganderbal > Wayul > Kangan > Kullan > Sonamarg.
    From Pahalgam to Sangam, this is about 53 kms. You can reach Sangam in an hour or more. Road conditions are good although since this isn't a toll route, it's not as well-maintained.

From Sangam to Srinagar, this is about 50 kms. You can reach Srinagar in about an hour or more. I'd recommend a halt in Srinagar. You can spend the night here and do some sightseeing. If you have the time, you can also go to Gulmarg, which is about 50 kms from Srinagar. But from Gulmarg, you'd have to pass to Srinagar again to go to Sonamarg.

So from Srinagar to Sonamarg, this is about 80 kms. You can reach Sonamarg in about 2 hours or so. Road conditions are good as well here. There are no sharp turns or bends that you are required to go through.

If you do decide to include Gulmarg in your trip, here's a possible route you can take:
    • Pahalgam > Aishmuqam > Awantipora > Badgam > Magam > Gulmarg > Magam > Srinagar > Ganderbal > Wayul > Kangan > Kullan > Sonamarg.
    This route is about 230 kms and can take longer especially with the night halts and sightseeing in Pahalgam, Gulmarg, Srinagar and Sonamarg. However, they are all on the way to Sonamarg so it's very easy to include them in the itinerary. I'd recommend at least a night and day stay in each of these destinations.

I hope this helps.:)